NSX Installation Guide
So I skipped a couple of chapters; Chapter 6 is for configuring a syslog server, and chapter 7 for adding a license file - each just a bit over 1 page and pretty spot on already.
Deploy NSX Controller Cluster - Chapter 8 (Original Number of pages 3)
NSX Controller is part of the control plane in NSX, and is responsible logical switching, and routing; maintaining information about the hosts, switches, VXLAN, and DLRs deployed. Currently the only supported configuraiton is 3 NSX Controllers in a controller cluster.
- Datastore (preferably shared) with an average write latency of less than 100ms, and peaks of no more than 300ms.
- NSX Manager deployed and registered with vCenter
- IP Pool created or other means to supply controller IP configuraiton information availble
While not listed, you also need to ensure that there is a L2 subnet the controllers can be deployed on; you should not deploy clusters over a routed network.
To deploy NSX Controllers, navgiate to Networking & Security from the vSphere web client » Installation » Management tab
- Click the green plus sign to add a controller
- Select the NSX Manager, data center, cluster, datastore, host, folder, VDS to connect the cluster to and the IP Pool. When selecting the host, select 3 different hosts now so your anti-affinity rule doesnt have any work to do later)
- Provide a password for the NSX Controller (12 characters with 3 of the 4 rules: 1 upper case, 1 lower case, 1 number, 1 special character) (Bonus points - who knows why they are referred to as “upper case” and “lower case” letters?)
- Wait for the controller to finish deploying, and repeat the above steps until 3 controllers are deployed
- Create DRS anti-affinity rules so the controllers are not running on the same host